EYPP – Early Years Pupil Premium

What is the Early Years Pupil Premium?

If you receive free 3 or 4 year old childcare at a school nursery, day nursery, pre-school or with a childminder, they may be able to claim up to £300 each year to spend on enriching your child’s learning.

This funding is called the Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP) and is paid directly to childcare settings for each eligible child.

The amount of funding available will depend on how many hours your child attends a childcare setting and the payment will not affect any benefits you may currently be claiming.

How will the funding help my child?

Children develop quickly during their early years and a child’s experiences between birth and the age of five can have a major impact on their later life.

Early learning experiences can be enhanced by the EYPP and the funding can be spent on lots of different things including extra resources, exciting experiences, preparing for school and additional enhanced support if you agree that this would benefit your child’s learning.

Your chosen childcare setting will work with you to decide how the funding could make the biggest difference to your child by discussing their interests.

Is my child eligible?

If you receive one of the following benefits, your chosen childcare setting may be entitled to claim this funding:

Income support

Income-based Jobseekers Allowance

Income related employment support allowance

Child tax credit (providing you are not also entitled to WTC and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)

Working Tax Credit run-on, paid 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for WTC

Support under part VI of the immigration and Asylum Act 1999

The guaranteed element of the state pension credit

Universal Credit

Or if your child:

Has been looked after by the local authority in care for at least one day

Has been adopted from care

Has left care through a special guardianship

What do I do next?

If you think your child may be eligible for the EYPP please speak to your childcare setting. They will ask you to fill out an EYPP Voluntary Registration form which includes the details they need to claim this funding.

The payment to the setting will not affect any benefits you are claiming.