Job title: Pre-School Practitioner
Responsible to: Pre-School manager
Monday to Friday 8.45am to 12.15pm. Term time only
(Potential for additional hours on Tuesdays & Thursdays to 3.15pm)
Purpose of the job: To work as part of the Pre-School team under the direction of the Pre-School manager to provide safe, high quality education and care for young children which meets the individual needs of children attending the setting.
1. To assist with the planning of the curriculum using the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) curriculum for guidance. Including planning activities for your key children that are relevant to their individual needs and are aimed at progressing their learning and development.
2. To help set up the equipment for the session and to help tidy away at the end of the session and to assist in all aspects of general cleaning and routine housekeeping, including toilets and bins. You will be required to lift and move furniture and equipment. Ensure that the building is left in a suitable condition and all paperwork is locked away.
3. To act as a key worker to a small group of children, liaising closely and building an effective relationship with parents/carers and ensuring each child’s needs are recognised and met.
4. To be responsible for ensuring that staff to child ratios are maintained at all times.
5. Work in partnership with parents/carers and other family members.
6. To advise the Pre-School manager of any concerns e.g. over children, parents or the safety of equipment, preserving confidentiality as necessary.
7. To teach children, offering an appropriate level of support and stimulating play experiences.
8. To ensure that children are kept safe and that you understand when to follow child protection procedures.
9. To ensure that all children, when necessary have their nappy changed regularly and the time noted and signed on the board. For any child who has wet or soiled clothing to be changed immediately and noted.
10. To actively participate at staff meetings, supervisor meetings and appraisal meetings.
11. To work together as part of a team.
12. To wear suitable clothing and footwear for work as per the clothing policy.
13. To attend training courses as required and to take responsibility for your development.
14. To keep completely confidential any information regarding the children, their families or other staff which is acquired as part of the job.
15. To be aware of and adhere to all the setting’s operational policies and procedures, e.g. health and safety, fire precautions, dropping off and collection of children, food safety, etc.
16. To ensure that adequate records are kept and updated regularly. Including daily risk assessments, accident forms, hygiene list (nappy changing), kitchen documents and signing in sheet. Also weekly, learning journeys & planning sheets. Termly, assessment sheets & tracking. This is not an exhaustive list.
17. To promote the Pre-School to current parents and potential customers.
18. To undertake any other reasonable duties as directed by the Pre-School manager, in accordance with the setting’s business plan/objectives.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of duties and the post holder will be required to undertake any other reasonable duties discussed and directed by the manager.
1. Willingness to learn and attend training courses, as decided by manager.
2. Level 3 Early Years Education and Childcare qualification
3. Previous experience of working with young children
4. Sound knowledge of child development for children from birth to five years
5. Knowledge of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
6. Knowledge of child protection procedures
7. Good communication skills
8. An understanding of play based approaches to children’s learning and development
9. Commitment to equal opportunities
10. Commitment to working effectively with young children and families
11. Friendly and flexible approach which facilitates the development of effective relationships
Current first aid qualification
This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (1974) and does require a criminal records check (DBS). Applicants must be prepared to disclose any convictions they may have and any orders which have been made against them.
Please complete the job application form below and return by email or post.
For further information, please email Jo Hazell at firstname.lastname@example.org